In 1732 His Majesty King George II of Great Britain and Ireland appointed James Edward Oglethorpe and twenty other men as Trustees for the Establishment of the Colony of Georgia in England, the governing body chartered to establish a new colony in North America. The southern location and warm climate of Georgia led the Trustees to believe it would be suitable for the cultivation of silk and fruits and would provide Great Britain with raw goods and materials. The 1733 seal used by the Georgia Trustees emphasized the colony’s role within the British Empire. The obverse side, used for legislative acts, deeds, and commissions granted by the Trustees, features a central figure seated beside a cornucopia symbolizing abundance, wearing a liberty cap on her head and a spear in one hand. The abbreviated Latin phrase around the top “COLONIA GEORGIA AUG” translates to “May the colony of Georgia prosper”. Below are two figures resting upon urns which portray the Savannah and Altamaha rivers that formed the northwestern and southeastern boundaries. The reverse of the seal, used for grants, orders, and certificates of the Trustees, features a silkworm, mulberry leaf, and cocoon, representing the Trustees’ hopes that the colonists would establish a thriving silk industry. The Latin motto “NON SIBI SED ALIIS” translates as “Not for self, but for others” which further signifies Georgia as a mercantile colony.